Thursday, January 14, 2010

Death of the Killer Heel?

I recently read an article in the Sunday Times Style magazine saying that the killer high heel has had it’s day…and the return of the kitten heels and sensible flats were back! Being 5”2 and a serious shoe fanatic with a closet destined to rival imelda marcos I’d like to severly debate this issue.

There are a million and one reasons why the killer heel will never die…we look better in heels, we walk better in heels, we have better posture in heels…wearing heels has even been proven to tone your upper thighs, so technically we could say wearing heels is exercise! Not only that, but heels are prettier than other shoes… you are never going to be able to compare a pair of flats to a pair of 5inch sex bombs. No Way! Shoes instantly cheer girls up, it’s like a cheaper version of therapy (well almost cheaper)…I have the most amazing pair of Topshop shoes that are aptly name “the breakup shoes”. Then I once had a very traumatic experience in Gatwick airport where I almost wasn’t allowed through the gates (long story), so again a pair of snakeskin fuschia Kurt Geiger heels were purchased in duty free and instantly the tears went away! High heel shopping is my cure for everything…to eliminate high heels from fashion, is like eliminating anti-depressants from a chemist!

Now don’t get me wrong, when I’m working or on a shoot I wear flats…not even I can run up and down Grafton street in stilettos all day. But when the occasion calls (ie. every weekend night or event) it’s high heels every time!

!

I will continue to love certain designers for continually pushing the boundaries with high heel designs. Last season Rodarte’s leather thigh highs were to-die-for and this season it’s all about Alexander McQueen! His latest S/S 10’ line had the most remarkable pieces of art I’ve ever seen, almost mythological in style. It’s refreshingly creative. Okay I won’t be buying a pair anytime soon…but I guarantee Topshop or some other highstreet label will bring out a more wearable version and baby, I’ll be first in line!

No comments:

Post a Comment